When I first started working from home, I loved it. Being able to wake up and go to bed whenever I pleased, setting up deadlines for myself that was based solely on the way I worked and what was best for me. Controlling how much or how little amount of money I make. The work from home life is great. But lately when I get up, walk over to my office, turn on my computer and attempt to work, I get the strong urge to look at everything else on the web that doesn't pertain to what needs to be done. And when I finally get my focus back to the task at hand, suddenly I need to get a snack or heck, I'll take a nap. I just dont feel like getting to it. Eventually I end up putting on my headphones and use the concentrated music to help me focus only on what is in front of me but you can imagine how many hours I've wasted before getting to that point. Even as I type this Im supposed to be working on something, but I figured that if I get this out of my system I can go back to doing what I am supposed to be doing...I hope lol
Some tips to help you stay motivated and focused:
- Play music that you like that will help you focus, an online radio station on pandora so you wont have to worry about playing DJ with your music, taking away from precious work time.
- Do work away from home, try a coffee shop with wifi like Barnes and Nobles
- Get all of the play out of your system. Go see a movie, do something unrelated to work, play 1 video game for an hour, then get right back to work.
- Post up pictures of where you want to be in the future, goals you want to attain in the near future, beaches you would like to visit, etc.
- Place at least one motivational quote that inspires you to do what you do in a place you look frequently in your work area to keep you on task and remind you why you started doing what you are doing in the first place.
- Reward yourself for reaching small goals. (Finished a proposal, watch a tv show you like as a break, etc.)
- One of the top things that keeps me motivated and going, is having friends around that are "up". Meaning they are motivated and also having constant movement in their lives, you attract everything and everyone in your life, so do everything in your power to keep that influence and momentum in your life. Call them every so often, check on each other, do work together, bounce ideas off each other.